The Internet is now very important in our day-to-day life. We use it to find something, learn new things, for news, and many more. Even in studies and work, the internet is very important now.
But sometimes for some problems, we can’t access the internet. Among all the problems “DNS server not responding” is one of the most seen problems. There are some easy solutions too.
What is DNS?
DNS, the full form is Domain name system. It is a system that transforms the web address into an IP address.
Whenever we write a web address like ASD .com or DSA .com, it goes to the DNS server, there the DNS transforms the web address, also known as a domain name, into an IP address.
Every website is on a device that is linked to the internet. All the devices have a unique IP. These IP addresses are used to locate a device on the internet.
An IP address is like this “220.127.116.11”. But for people, it is hard to remember. That’s why these IP addresses are converted into domain names or web addresses to make them easy to remember.
So, when the “DNS server is not responding” shows up, it means there is a problem in converting the domain name into the IP address. Thus, as your computer can’t convert the domain name into an IP address, it can’t locate the website, and that’s the reason why you can’t go to a website. Deleting cache can also assist you in efficiently resolving Chrome Browser’s Clear The DNS Resolver Cache data and Chrome Web Browser’s Flush Socket Pools difficulties.
There are a number of reasons and solutions to solve these problems. Try these solutions there is a high chance that one of these solutions might work.
- Change your browser.
Sometimes the browser might be the reason for this problem.
So, try another browser to check if the other browser is working or not. If the second browser is working, then your default browser is the one causing the problem.
Check your default browser, see if it’s up-to-date or an outdated version. If the browser is outdated, then updating it might solve the problem. If it doesn’t, then use another browser as your default browser.
- Update network driver.
Your computer needs driver software to use specific hardware. There is driver software for the network too. This driver software needs to be updated.
Most of the time, it updates automatically, but sometimes you have to manually update them.
The update might fix the problem. To do the update, you can use third-party software like “Driver Easy” or through windows.
There is another way, go to google and write the name and model of your motherboard and also write “driver software” beside them. You will see a lot of websites for driver software. Download them from there.
Go to one of the websites and download LAN or network adapter driver software and install them on your PC.
If you want the windows method for the update, then go to the device manager. You can search on the search box beside the start option on the bottom left side of the monitor.
- Search “Network Adapters” and single on the arrow beside it or double click on it.
- Some will see one option or some will see a lot. If there is a “Realtek PCIe GBE Family” option then right-click on it, then click on update, and then “search automatically”
- It will update your driver automatically.
- Turn off your Malware software temporarily.
Antivirus works in the background all the time to ensure safety from viruses. They also warn you when you try to visit a website and the website has some suspicious thing.
This antivirus can also be the reason of “DNS server not responding” issue. It could be that it is hindering the process.
To see whether it is the reason or not, you have to disable the antivirus. Then try to access the internet. If it works, then you can change into another antivirus software, or reinstall, or reconfigure the settings of your antivirus.
There is numerous antivirus software, and they have different settings. Disable your antivirus from settings. For help, search on the internet using your phone.
For those who do not have an antivirus or using windows one, then follow these steps to disable the antivirus.
- Go to Windows settings and after that, go and click on the Update & Security.
- Then windows security.
- After that go to Virus & threat protection.
- In the end, click on virus and threat protection settings.
- You can also just search “Windows defender” on the start menu search bar and proceed from then.
- There you will see the “Real-time protection” option. Turn it off.
Your windows defender will be disabled but it will turn on again the next time you boot the computer.
- Restart your router.
If you are not using a direct LAN connection, only using a router, then check your router.
Your internet is coming and going through the router. There is a high chance that it is your router that making the problem.
Restart your router and see. If it’s not working then, turn off your router and disconnect the cables and leave the router for a minute. Connect the cables and turn your router on again and check if the internet is working again.
If you have a spare on, switch them and check.
- Disable unused connection
If you ever used Bluetooth, LAN, Or WAN connection for the internet but you are not using them now, then disable them. They can also cause the problem.
Do as we have written below.
- Go to the “control panel.” Or you have the option use the search bar too.
- Then go to “network & sharing center.” If you don’t see it, then go to “Network and Internet” and then click on the “Network & sharing center.”
- You will see the “Change adapter settings” option, on the left side.
- Go there and you will see the connection you are using. If there is more than the one you are using, then those that have a red cross sign right-click on them and select disable.
Check on the browser if the internet is running.
- Change the DNS server.
Sometimes by changing the default DNS server on windows, we can solve the problem.
To do that, follow the steps shown in number 5 till “Change adapter settings.”
- If you see more than one, then select the connection you are using and then right-click.
- Then go to properties.
- There select “Internet protocol 4 (IPV4)” and click on properties again.
- Below you will see “Obtain DNS server automatically” is selected. You have to select the other one “Use the following DNS server.”
- Now you just put a DNS server. You can find public DNS servers on the internet or you can put “18.104.22.168” as Preferred DNS and “22.214.171.124” as Alternative.
- Select ok.
Now go to your browser and check if the internet is working.
- Fluch the DNS cache.
The old DNS data might cause the problem. So, to check it, we have it flush the DNS cache. To do this, follow what we have written below.
- At first, you have to open CMD
- Go to the below-left search bar and write CMD on it (Command Prompt).
- Right-click and press enter on the “Run as administrator” option.
- Now write this Ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.
Now if the problem was related to the DNS cache, then it will solve it.
- Disable P2P (Peer-to-Pear)
It’s a feature that lets you update one windows and then share the update with other computers connected through the local network.
This can also be the reason for DNS not responding problem. Disabling the P2P feature might solve it.
- Go to settings.
- Then Update & security.
- Then Delivery optimization.
- And disable “Allow downloads from other PCs” option.
These are the solution that can solve the error.